British Association of Retinal Screeners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion forum for diabetic eye screeners.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lynseyd72

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC Empty
PostSubject: MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC   MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 8:33 am

What is the maximum number of patients seen at fixed site clinics? Our service is proposing moving from 31 to 34 patients per day. Interested to see what other people do.
Back to top Go down
Aly

PostSubject: Re: MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC   MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 3:39 pm

Well it much depends on what you have to do in the clinic I guess. We do on average 23 patients over 2 sessions (am/pm) the patients mostly choose their appointment times so our DNA rate is low. One screener does VAs drops and photos; we don't grade at clinic as we use laptops, but we do need to highlight if soon/urgent. Personally I find I run on time if not early and have used any spare time to do C&G work. I would be happy to do a few more patients in a day, but then we don't tend to have long runs of days together screening as we are all also graders; I realise talking to others that we are very lucky. What is the reasoning behind wanting to up your number?
Back to top Go down
lynseyd72

PostSubject: Thanks Aly - we do the same as you- VAs, drops and photos, no grading is done as we do this at separate session. The reason for upping our numbers is because we are not on target to screen the required number of patients. Our DNA rate is high at 10%.   MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 am

Aly wrote:
Well it much depends on what you have to do in the clinic I guess. We do on average 23 patients over 2 sessions (am/pm) the patients mostly choose their appointment times so our DNA rate is low. One screener does VAs drops and photos; we don't grade at clinic as we use laptops, but we do need to highlight if soon/urgent. Personally I find I run on time if not early and have used any spare time to do C&G work. I would be happy to do a few more patients in a day, but then we don't tend to have long runs of days together screening as we are all also graders; I realise talking to others that we are very lucky. What is the reasoning behind wanting to up your number?
Back to top Go down
Aly

PostSubject: Re: MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC   MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 7:55 am

Well it's difficult to comment on another service when they are all so different but I am not sure increasing numbers will alter your DNA rate which is the real problem! (that of course is a whole other issue which involves getting care providers on board to emphasise the importance of screening etc etc we now offer some late clinics and some Saturdays which are proving popular, but does require commitment from staff to do this)
What wolud be good would be some guidance from National team on a sensible maximum; too many and it is easy not to have time to take a proper history or feel you have spent the time on VA all of which could have referral implications.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC   MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PATIENTS AT CLINIC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
British Association of Retinal Screeners :: Topics for Discussion :: Eye Screening Models (Optometric, Mobile, Static)-
Jump to: